Tuesday 1 May 2007

MTF 'Round 2: Presentations' Week 7

After sitting in class listening to metal and rock music, it’s opened my eyes (and ears) to appreciate different genres of music. Although I’ve never been against metal and rock music, it’s hardly been a big favourite of mine but I couldn’t help but tap my feet to the music, sit back and enjoy!

I owe my thanks to Jake, Stuart, Rowan, Scott H. and Ben, who respectively played music produced by: Kevin “The Caveman” Shirley, Dave Fridmann, Ross Robinson, Jason Suecof and Eddie Kramer (Fieldhouse, 2007).

It was interesting to hear what they each classified as a distinctive style and I’m curious to know if it depends on the type of music to be able to hear them more clearly. For example, it could be very possible that I couldn’t hear the different techniques used in the music that Barry Gibb produced however could it also be plausible that it is easier to hear them in metal and rock music?

I found it quite interesting when Stuart mentioned the usage of 8 speakers for a particular Flaming Lips song (Johnston, 2007). I guess it’s sort of an interactive- like ploy for people to get together with their speakers and get the full force of the desired outcome! I would actually like to try that and see what it’s like!

I was thinking about what it would be like for me to become a producer- how would I influence the music industry? I think I would play a number of different roles like of course the producer and engineer, but also the listener, advisor, communicator, planner and ‘tension- breaker’. To become successful and sought after, I would become all those roles so that everyone in my team and also the artist, experience the most comfortable and enjoyable recording session they’ve ever had! Of course this is all in theory so in real life it may not run so smoothly- damn reality!

This class has taught me that being a producer is not all about sitting in a room pushing buttons and sliding faders (as fun as it may sound). It’s like any other job where you can’t make assumptions about it unless you really know. For example, until I spoke to an accountant I thought their job revolved around playing with numbers- how wrong I was!


Reference List

Fieldhouse, Steve. 2007. “Week 7 Presentations.” Lecture presented at University of Adelaide, 26 April.
Johnston, Stuart. 2007. “Dave Fridmann.” Lecture presented at University of Adelaide, 26 April.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Until you listen to a lot of music in one genre, it's hard to know what to listen for when it comes to specific techniqes etc. But i find most genres can have something good about them that is likeable.. (i refuse to comment on some but we'll leave that for another day!) I also found it enlightening how much participation an engineer/producer has in the music.. :)