Wednesday 11 April 2007

MTF ‘Round 1: Presentations’ Week 6

Today’s class was the beginning of presentations on our self- chosen producers; technically it isn’t as Ken presented his last week on Stock Aitken and Waterman- which I must say was very entertaining. I must admit I was quite surprised at the way Ken presented his because it was so insightful and I felt like he was talking about them as if he was part of the actual group.

What I liked about Ken’s presentation was the fact that he chose someone he didn’t necessarily like. I think Ken’s opinionated view of Stock Aitken and Waterman was the best quality of his presentation. Great job, Ken! I especially loved the flashback of Kylie’s “I should be so lucky”!

Next up was Lauren who chose Nigel Godrick, you may have heard of him as he has produced many Radiohead albums. I found her presentation interesting and I liked how she added in quotes. One topic brought up that I found intriguing was whether Radiohead reached success because of Nigel Godrick, or vice versa. That had me thinking, is it like that with all producer- artist relationships?

I was up for the slaughter next, but I won’t reveal to you the gruesome details in this Blog, ohhh no. You get all the gory details in my 1000 word journal paper discussion!


Scott was after me and boy did he make me look bad! Scott did his presentation on Bob Ezrin and played some great tracks, in particular the one where you can hear the feedback coming from various guitars. I think it was great how Scott got us involved and asked us to try and count the various feedbacks!

To end the day’s presentations was Brendan who talked about Matt Bayles. I thought it was a great effort how he managed to get in contact with Matt Bayles. Too bad he wasn’t able to help Brendan in time as it would’ve been nice to hear about it, and maybe why he chose, for one track, to suddenly add in a couple of bars of country/ western music!

For the last 15 minutes of class, Steve played some classical music which was a change from what we’re used to. I thoroughly enjoyed it as I come from a classical background and sometimes feel like an alien being in this course. However, it could be because it seems like everyone else in this course know what they’re doing whereas to me, everything’s new. At least I can say with total honesty that I am learning something new everyday!

No comments: